Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Credit balance
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 06:41:12 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Credit balance Dear max team,

I have balance of bhd 13.2 refunded few days ago, yesterday I was trying to
place an order and credit balance was available to be deducted but the
payment didn’t go through , attached max message for your reference, since
then I’m trying to place the order again but the credit balance shown as
zero so I didn’t pay for the order until this problem to be solved.

Kindly check this issue ASAP as I’m buying some staff for kids on sale
which will end today.

Many thanks

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: hedaya mohsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 at 12:03 PM
Subject: Credit balance
To: <[email-masked]>

Dear max team,

I have balance of bhd 13.2 refunded few days ago, yesterday I was trying to
place an order and credit balance was available to be deducted but the
payment didn’t go through , attached max message for your reference, since
then I’m trying to place the order again but the credit balance shown as
zero so I didn’t pay for the order until this problem to be solved.

Kindly check this issue ASAP as I’m buying some staff for kids on sale
which will end today.

Many thanks

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5787702