Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Transaction unseccusful
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 07:29:19 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Transaction unseccusful It was very disappointing experience today. as we are celebrating
international womens day today. but  still i experience this hilarious act.

I made a purchase in Mas Fashion in Burjuman exit  1 at 7:30 pm today via
POS , self service. 3 attempts, the machine did not release any receipt,
but then after 2 mins, i received message from the  bank that  it  was
deducted. i even call the adcb call center, they said it was deducted on
the bank. i  went back to the  store and tell them that it was deducted in
my  account.

that items is for my daughters birthday on friday, she was waiting for
that. and now i cannot  do anything, as i  need an immediate action first,
either return the money and i can buy it again or got a confirmation in the
store that they receive my money.

please get an immediate action on this, please call me immediately tomorrow,
0521751427

-- 

Best Regards,

Jackie Laurel

-- 

Best Regards,

Jackie Laurel

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5816512