Subject: Ticket Assigned - ORDER NOT RECEIVED
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 10:57:17 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  ORDER NOT RECEIVED Hi I order From Max on 26-02-2023

My Order # 9416377023

I Put my correct location Al Quoz and everything was right from my side. My
Order Expected date to receive is 27-02-2023 but still I did not receive
this order.

Feb 27-02-2023 one delivery guy called me and he said to me he is in Al
Qusais he will change my address okay this one I Agree but I did not
receive this Order again.

On March 01, My order was out for delivery and guy msg me I send location
and he come also and my order amount is 210, I give this guy 510 but he
dont have change he tell me I will come again today and give you but still
he did not come i check my app he put reason COD is not available. He dont
have change it is my problem?

I am messaging on your whatsapp. They are telling us we will update you but
today is Friday and did not get delivered. I request you to send my
delivery today as soon as possible because I need this one Today.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5782961