Subject: Ticket Assigned - Important
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2023 05:31:40 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Important Centrepoint support

12/February/2023

I’m writing this email to complaining about my order status number
(1714427295)kapaa woman’s walking shoes , that I have done it at 6:49 pm
today , When I completed the order in Centrepoint app and the amount was
deducted from my bank account , I received a text message that my order was
successful, but at 8:16pm I received a message and email from centerpoint
stating that my order had failed and no amount was deducted by them ,so
according to that I made a phone call to the bank to confirm that matter
and they told me the payment was successfully done and the money was
deducted from my account by the transaction number 296798 , In this case, I
need your respond about my order status is ongoing or has it been
cancelled?! , in this situation I will lose my money as well as did not get
my purchases ,I hope you understanding and I await your prompt response .

Regards,

Alrayan Almashry

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5702472