Subject: Ticket Assigned - EXCHANGE / REFUND REQUEST - ORDER NO 9403133183 (CELESTED PINK COLOUR DUFFLE BAG)- JANICE PEREIRA - 15.12.2022
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2023 07:04:35 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  EXCHANGE / REFUND REQUEST - ORDER NO 9403133183 (CELESTED PINK COLOUR DUFFLE BAG)- JANICE PEREIRA - 15.12.2022 Dear Team Centrepoint ,

Good Day!

I would like to put a refund / exchange request for the attached item below

CELESTE DUFFLE BAG PINK COLOUR - PRICE AED 139.00

I ordered the bag on 29th Nov 2022 have used it only once and the handle is
already tearing and partially the stitches are opening .
Does this mean you have sent me an old stock / defected item , this is not
good and is really not acceptable

I am a regular shopper with Centrepoint and splash and never faced such a
situation.

Please request to take up this matter on priority and arrange exchange for
a new piece of the same item / same model / same colour / same design or i
need a refund processed asap.

I thank you for your support and await your prompt action / response.

attached images for your reference

Best Regards
Janice
056 727 6023

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5465336