Subject: Ticket Assigned - Problem with shukran and home center
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 04:33:28 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Problem with shukran and home center Hello,
I'm writing to clear the confusion that is caused by a temporary change
that my husband made on his account due to which I cannot access my
account.

So my account is - [email-masked] and phone is 0555527931

My husbands account is [email-masked] and his phone is 0505565143

We make different purchases and our shukran numbers are different.

One day my husband was travelling and had made a purchase from his online
account and spoke with someone and gave my number for the sales team to
contact to check the delivery times etc.

From that time onwards, my account stopped working. Someone added my
husbands number to my email address and shukran and home center account and
now my account doesn't work anymore. It keep saying- my shukran is already
linked to another account. Can you please fix this issue. As I'm having
difficulty making purchases independently.

Thank you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5656055