Subject: Ticket Assigned - Why was my order cancelled?
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2023 09:56:33 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Why was my order cancelled? Good Day

I use splash online to buy clothes. When I looked online yesterday
"Textured Zip Through Jacket with Long Sleeves" availability showed and
ordered. After 10 minutes a message came saying that the order had been
cancelled. I have ordered four times but it is being cancelled. Looking at
that item this morning it still shows availability. Ordered today but
canceled. Why are you showing availability if out of stock?

Below is the number I ordered.

Order#9412899108

Order#9412886475

Order#9412752913

Order#9412751793

Order#9412749494

Order#9412749423

 I want to buy that item. Ask for delivery if in stock

Thanks,

Shery

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5652845