Subject: Ticket Assigned - Price wrongly billed
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 06:28:39 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Price wrongly billed Hi

My name is Vivek and last time when i was in Dubai in Oct i bought a bag
for my wife.It was from centerpoint mall of emirates branch.I saw the item
on sale and bought it.But when i reached home i can see it was wrongly
billed.it was different from sale amount.as i reached back bahrain i have
called a lot of times on ur tollfree nos ...chated virtually but no use.I
have been always a loyal customer of urs.I kindly advise u to go through my
bill in my mob no 0097336575714.kindly share me the bill and also pls some
favour as i am unable to come to dubai again for this matter.i have paid
original price...kindly give the offer price in the form  of voucher or u
can put it in wallet online.
i hope u would do the needful.this was my first experience and since i was
there in dubai for just 2 days didnt get the time to go back to shop.

thanks
vivek

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5537607