Subject: Ticket Assigned - Customer Complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 03:03:13 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Customer Complaint Good evening,

I am writing to you in concern to an issue that has not been resolved for a
long time. Hopefully, my email is not taken as a complaint but as something
that is about taken as constructive criticism. This issue pertains to your
makeup selection; more specifically the lack of shade ranges you offer in
most of your stores. I am an individual of a darker skin tone. As it is
finding makeup, can become a task on its own but my shopping experience
becomes evidently harder. Centrepoint stores carry the brand Makeup
Revolution, which is known for its inclusivity and affordability. However,
when I visited your stores (three separate branches: DCC, MOE and Burjuman)
all three lacked any of the dark range shades in concealers, foundations,
and general face products. I was directed to other brands but the same
problem seemed to prevail. I tried purchasing a foundation powder on your
website; despite it being a different shade how are all the darker shades
represented in one photo? Rightly expected it was delivered as the wrong
shade. Due to it being a makeup product I could not return it nor attain a
refund.
I understand this may be a difficult issue to solve as it is based on the
demand for these items in your stores but it is so upsetting walking into
your makeup section and only seeing light to medium shade ranges.
Additionally, it is not an issue that the brands you carry do not have
wider shades. They do and your makeup counters just does not carry it. One
thing is for sure your staff has always been polite and respectful. I hope
you can understand my perspective and although it may not even change
anything. I hope I have showcased a clear problem that I hope can be solved
in some way. I like shopping at your stores but in this era, it is
important to actually value and act upon ingraining inclusivity.

Thank You.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5607677