Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #7804382670
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 06:46:51 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #7804382670 Good day

I am really disappointed and stressed the way I am getting assistance
fromCentrepoint for an issue reported almost a month ago and several
follow ups.

As mentioned in my several emails, 2 GOO JITZU--I ordered, which I* paid
Bhd 6.09 each* (that also after discounted price).Kindly note that the
actual price was above 10bd each .

Within 2 days,it completely ruined and unsafe for kids.

Kindly note that I don't want the same and copy paste reply that"Team is
working on it it will be resolved soon) .

On another note kindly note that no repl or any update has been
received from your team unless I send an email and automated reply comes.

I want the amount to be refunded asap
-- 

*Warms and regards*

*Anu Mithun*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5584937