Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund not credited
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 02:04:42 +0000

Hi Reena kumari,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund not credited Dear Team,
I have returned items since very long time ago and there is no refund made
yet.

It is very disappointing that i will have to sent multiple emails and
explanation every time  to get my money back.

You may please check the history that they were times the credit amount was
not showing in my account.

Pasting below the confirmation SMS for your reference.

Hi! Your return request RP1214220005904 has been successfully picked up. We
will keep you posted on your refund. Click to give feedback
http://m.shk.do/2SRMrtqk Stay Happy!

Thanks,
Vasiha

-- 
VASIHA VAHAB

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5577511