Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint about order number 9417203282/9417201990
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2023 03:08:52 +0000

Hi Mais Hasan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint about order number 9417203282/9417201990 To whom it might concern..

Please be advised regarding attached order numbers it was cancelled without
any prior notice and the reason was it was glitch in the system which is
totally unacceptable reason  and i recieved an item that was free of charge
which was puched in my order and i wasn't able to cancelled i recieved it
and i recieved a deducation of 10 aed ??? i need urgent explanation for
that orelse a case will be raised to consumer rights since i spent all most
1 hour to complet the order and i was deducted full amount and one item
only was sent the free one and i was charged for it 10 aed and 20 for both
orders and your customer service agent call center tald me that it was for
the delivery , how could you do that !! ,once you cancelled my order
cancell everything and refund my full money including the delivery charge
because i don't need your free item if i will be charge for it 10aed  !!!

instead of admitting your mistakes you still charge us for delivery and
this doesn't have any other explanation rather than cheating and stealing
yout customers and that was in purpose  !! i have been for 20+ in this
country and this is the first time i'm sending email to complaint about
your online service failure which i'm not supposed to pay for it and this
will be the last time i will purchase for your online store,

Hope this email will take your attention to refund my 20 aed for both
orders and collect you free item ASAP ,

Thank you

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5809570