Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Clicks closed
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 09:58:08 +0000

Hi Mais Hasan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Clicks closed ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Hilary Neilon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Jan 8, 2023 at 6:34 AM
Subject: Clicks closed
To: [email-masked] <
[email-masked]>

Good Day

On Friday I waited at the Clicks doors after loadshedding to go to the
store but they didn't reopen like the other stores. There were other people
that were also there. Why is that?

I ubered to Centre Point as my car is still at the mechanics. For me to
Uber to another Clicks would have been inconvenient as I already had
groceries with me. I find the casual approach of this Clicks appalling.
They also have a very unfriendly and moody pharmacy manager with very low
customer service skills.

You as the centre management surely have rules as to when the stores open
and close? Why are these not being adhered to??

Please advise

Kind Regards
Ms H. Neilon
0786747814

Sent from my Huawei phone

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5601385