Subject: Ticket Assigned - Shukran Pay
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 08:23:02 +0000

Hi Mais Hasan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Shukran Pay Dear team,
 This is regarding the payment issue I have faced in centrpoint app today
while making an order.
 Last month I have made an order through the app with order
no:"9404327461". And I have returned some of the products from this
order.Since I made payment through cash on delivery  I got refund via
 "Shukran Pay" of 102 Dhs.
    But when I try to make a purchase again and pay through shukran pay I
am not able to pay as it is asking my credit card details. I am also jot
able to deselect "credit / debit card" option as well. I already contacted
your WhatsApp team and customer service team and as instructed I already
reinstalled the app and also sign out and sign in to it. Also given all the
details asked for. But till now the problem is still not resolved.

    So kindly see to the issue and do necessary action As soon as possible

Thanks in advance
Dr Shehanaz Ayisha

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5562049