Subject: Ticket Assigned - Renewal of the credit note - 45552578784214802132
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2023 06:36:41 +0000

Hi Mais Hasan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Renewal of the credit note - 45552578784214802132 Dear All,

This is regarding the renewal of a credit note for QAR 70.

I have done an online order (order # 4555257878) for which i have got a
credit note (a piece of paper) for the return of the item. Please find the
attached.

Everytime i took it to the Max store counter, they say the credit note is
expired and i have to call and renew it. It takes a big effort to get the
toll free number connected. Once its connected and will get the credit note
renewed. However they never say the end date for the same. And since its a
piece of paper, we tend to forget to carry it each time we go for shopping.

At last yesterday when i went to use the credit note, they said its expired
again. I tried calling the toll free number right then and there, with
no luck. Today when i called them, they told i have to sent an email to
renew the credit note.

So kindly renew the credit note or else please credit the amount to my
credit card which i have used for online shopping.

Awaiting your quick response.

Thank you
Rishadha Rasheed
5567 0411

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5676033