Subject: Ticket Assigned - Paid more and received less.
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 08:31:06 +0000

Hi Mais Hasan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Paid more and received less.  hello dear.

I would like to complain about my items which I receive recently.

My order no is 170 801 4243

I chose 25 items and after I paid and went to check again I found that I
paid more and there were two t-shirts have been double put in basket, so
total items has been 27 instead of 25. But then I receive my 25 items which
I have chosen earlier.

Can you please check and let me know what happened and why I should pay for
those two items of RO 2.500 each(5 Rials) which I didn't put in basket, and
paid, then they were not included in my received order/items?

Could you please call me and explain? Bcz I need to send  these items
abroad as soon as possible.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon and thanking you in advance.

Yours faithfully,

Maryam Zahir

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5553985