Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Order No. 4707364187 Men's Casio Watch AEQ-110W-1BVDF (Defective item and wrong color)
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 02:15:42 +0000

Hi Mais Hasan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Order No. 4707364187 Men's Casio Watch AEQ-110W-1BVDF (Defective item and wrong color) ---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mont Croc <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Dec 26, 2022, 7:34 PM
Subject: RE: Order No. 4707364187 Men's Casio Watch AEQ-110W-1BVDF
(Defective item and wrong color)
To: <[email-masked]>

Dear Sir/Madam,

Hi, I spoke with your hotline agent and she told me to send this email for
item return. This item is defective and the color I ordered is navy blue
not black. The clock hands are not working or some buttons are not
functioning well, I attached a video of this item for your reference. This
one looks like been returned before by other customer because there's no
plastic protection on the glass and furthermore the box has no warranty
card/manual with it.

You can check my order no. 4707364187.

If you could replace this item with the correct color and new, not a
returned stock by other customer, please do so as soon as possible. Because
im leaving this friday for vacation.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Roque Raquin Magarzo
77329308

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5509077