Subject: Ticket Assigned - Product quality
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 06:21:19 +0000

Hi Zeina Abdeen,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Product quality Respected Team ,

I ordered the baby coral rocker from centrepoint online through the
centrepoint app , the description of the product in the app say it’s an
adjustable canopy , but the product which I received the canopy is not
adjustable rather it is stationery and doesn’t move once it’s fixed .
Please replace my product with the adjustable canopy rocker . Moreover ,
the packaging of the rocker was taped which shows that the product was
opened before and then resold to me , which is not satisfied at all .

I have attached the image showing the canopy and the description of the
product online . Please look at the feature 2 in the description .

Please I expect a proper look through this query and do the needful to
fulfill the order.

Your kind cooperation will be appreciated.

Regards ,
Tasnim

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5471709