Subject: Ticket Assigned - Problems with the Junior Jazz (Black) Baby Stroller.
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 18:28:52 +0000

Hi Afnan Eyad,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Problems with the Junior Jazz (Black) Baby Stroller. Hello Dear Team Member, Support Team, Centrepoint,

I am a regular and satisfied customer of Centerpoint. I want to raise a
complaint regarding the problems with the Junior Jazz (Black) Baby
Stroller. The order number was *6185162339*, and the order date was
November 23, 2022.

From day 1, the stroller had issues with stability, and the front wheels on
the right side don't touch the ground. Furthermore, there are two
notch-like cuts on the front wheel on the right side (picture attached with
red arrows pointing to the cuts).

It is mentioned in the online details of this product that it is covered by
a 2-year warranty against any manufacturing defects; therefore, I am
interested in the replacement or repair of this stroller. I look forward to
your favorable response.

Thank you!

Sameer Shaikh.

Cell ph #: (00966) 530935057

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5638845