Subject: Ticket Assigned - قمت بشراء حقيبة والترولى اتكسر
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 10:30:17 +0000

Hi Afnan Eyad,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  قمت بشراء حقيبة والترولى اتكسر I have bought a bag in order number 6174369518
After I have used this bag for only one week the arm of the bag was broken
i have send complaint about this issue and no response for my complaint i
never bought something from centerpoint with low quality and before i had a
problem with a bag and you fix this problem why this time you don’t have
any solutions? It
has taken too long time and no answer !!!
The problem in this issue how did you write in this bag it has guarantee
??? And now it’s my right to ask about this guarantee
I have bought this bag in 13/10/2022 it has arrived to my home after 3 or 5
days when I have started to use it I noticed that it wasn’t the same
quality as we used from center point it has broken after one week of
use!!!! Since that day i have communicated with you and till now I didn’t
get any solution ☹️ it’s really bad experience I never had before with
you!!!!!!

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5354412