Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #6149560747
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 06:14:24 +0000

Hi Aljoori Alghamdi,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #6149560747 Hello,

Please know I made a return request more than a week ago for 4 items from
my order (6149560747) and till now noone has come by to pick it up! I am
travelling outside of kingdom for the summer tomorrow and I have made
multiple calls to the customer service line so request urgent pick up but
noone has still not contacted me for pick up. Can you please arrange for
one ASAP. Also, the reason to return one of the items (Sustainable Solid
T-shirt and Full Length Striped Pyjama Set) was because it was missing the
pants! It only came as a white top with no bottom with it. I put in this
reason in the comment box when I requested the return however, I am
emailing now as the customer service representative on the phone advised
that I do so in an email aswell. So please know that the pj set did not
come as a set and only a white top was sent with no pants with it.

Once again, I would really appreciate if someone can come by and pick up my
return package on an urgent basis as once I leave the kingdom, I will not
be reachable via phone. I would return the items in store but due to the
missing item, I am sure they will not take it back and will be a waste of
time and energy. I kindly request again to please have all this sorted as
soon as possible.

Its really not appreciated that its been 10 days and the courier company
could not come by to pick up the return package. Please arrange asap.

Thank you,
Hajra
0559943713

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4558678