Subject: Ticket Assigned - Shipment is not delivered -9497688847
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 07:10:27 +0000

Hi Maya Shamma,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Shipment is not delivered -9497688847 Hello Max,

I have ordered a shipment on July 2nd. It should be delivered on last
Friday. Though it is not delivered, delivery boy marked it as delivered
when I found the message I tried to contact him. He said that he updated
mistakenly, how can he do that?? He also mentioned that he will deliver it
to me today but I asked him to cancel the order he agreed to that but i
didnt get any update regarding refund

Please take action on this immediately because it already so late I ordered
on july2 and it is estimated to deliver on Friday.. meanwhile I purchased
required size in store. So I asked him to cancel the order. I don't know
how irresponsible he is.. the way he responded is also rude!! I received
very bad experience. Didn't expected this from you!!

I tried to contact delivery patner as well
Kerry Indev Express but the contact provided is useless.. it didn't get
connected only ..

Today when I contacted your team, through a call they mentioned that the
status is delivered.. it needs to be updated ASAP..

Name of delivery guy.. Rajesh !!

I request you to kindly take action. And please provide the refund
amount.please help me at this point atleast.

Waiting for your response and action

Regards,
Srinija Boyina

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4629120