Subject: Ticket Assigned - #4209109 - items still not collected for return, been over 2 months
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 10:22:08 +0000

Hi Maya Shamma,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  #4209109 - items still not collected for return, been over 2 months Hello,

I had requested for a return on an item I purchased online.
I have requested it through your website. I was told someone will come to
collect it.
I keep receiving messages that the request is taking longer than expected,
but till now the issue has not been resolved.
Every 2-3 days I receive an automated email - please see attached
screenshot.
This is very annoying. The item size was too big - I can't wear it. I need
to return this. It's not fair that I paid for it and can't use it,
Delay in arranging pick up is from your side. I will be even more
disappointed and angry if you tell me your return policy is 14 days - its
not me who delayed it.
I need a solution ASAP. I need the refund. Please, don't send me automated
emails every second day, please arrange for pick up. How is it that you
have not been able to arrange a pick up in 3 months !!!
Are you really that disorganized ? Such a big multinational chain and yet
such poor service. I have been your customer ever since you opened your
first branch, I am extremely upset and disappointed with the quality of
your service.

Pooja
0559233651

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4477997