Subject: Ticket Assigned - Wrong order no# 4670203113
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 12:34:57 +0000

Hi Ali Alsareti,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Wrong order no# 4670203113 Hello
I placed an order on 14 may, 2022 & received the order on 15 may,2022 .
Then the order comes with wrong item “ bed sheet with small size” as i
selected size 180x200 but actually i received 90x200 check the photo
attached please.
I called the customer service on phone but they told they will return then
i have to place new order with the right size !! How come ?! The mistake
happened from your side the you should solve it by replacement just take
the item i have and give the right size why should i enter a loop ! It’s
your problem not mine .
In addition there was a discount code i entered last time , by these steps
i’ll lose the discount because you will deduct the discount amount then i
have to order new one without discount

Please feed me back by the solution
Awaiting your reply

Thank you

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4362819