Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint against shoemart
From: Shoemart <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 14:44:34 +0000

Hi Ali Alsareti,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint against shoemart I got a white ballerina one day before eid from centre point shoemart(jimi
mall -alain) this shoes was damaged when we reach home late night and
because it was one day before eid I couldn't do anything than my girl to
wear it on as I don't had another option as we were planning to go for thre
days holiday in other emirate

I came today 13-5 to shoemart(alain mall) and I told the staff that I want
to replace this shoes, they asked me is it used I told yes, so they said we
can't do anything just we can repair but it will take more than a week I
told her it is ok but give me a replacement until this shoes is ready, the
lady at the cashier call another guy( ravendra) and she told him "COME AND
EXPLAIN TO HER SHE IS NOT UNDERSTANDING) so I told her I understand you
very well and I am well aware of what I am requesting you

I asked the guy I just used it once and I am not supposed to lie and tell
you no I didn't use it, he said you can clean it and bring it as not
used!!!!

Why I should lie or not tell the truth trying to deceive a shop to get what
is my right

Please do the needful to replace this shoes

Heba
0529249200

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4350988