Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd:
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 11:56:51 +0000

Hi Ali Alsareti,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Dears ,

Have a good day !

I am sending to you to inform you that I made a return for 2 orders on
20/04/2022 at MAX AlZahia Mall  and till now I didn't receive my refund ,
however I called more than one time and applied for a complaint oslo . I
checked with the bank and it ensured me that the refunded amount didt come
to my account and sent me bank statement for April & May

The first order no : 9565610914 the refund amount is 18 AED
The scand order no : 9561602439  the refund amount is 37.5 AED

KINDLY NOTE THAT : For the second order I made  return before in the same
order and I received the amount already , only 37.5 AED for one  blouse
returned on 20/04/2022 still not received

kindly check the Bank Satetment and i hobe you could solve this matter and
send me my mony back as iam aregular customer for Max and this is the first
time to mmet this issue

thanks alot and your quick action is highly appriciated

Regards,
Raghda said
0508909516

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4342395