Subject: Ticket Assigned - Wrong sizes
From: Splash <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 01:54:56 +0000

Hi Ali Alsareti,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Wrong sizes Dear Sir/Madam,

I have purchased 2 pajama set from splash app and this is the third am
receiving wrong items, or missing items or wrong sizes. First time I bought
a pajama set online then I received the T-shirt without the pants, this was
returned to your store I then repurchased it again online and yet received
it without the pant. I have raised a complain for this twice (Order number:
9569468544 mickey mouse pajama set).

Today I did another order for pajama set I received the pants size 10 and
top size 16 (floral print pajama set)???? So I don't know what's wrong with
the store guys who are sending clients orders. Three or four wrong orders
and the problem that I like the items but I need it complete and with the
correct size. I don't know whom shall I talk to and complain but am really
mad of what happened.

I have attached my 2 orders for your reference.

Best Regards,

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4344785