Subject: Ticket Assigned - The packaging of the product is damaged order id 9569629887
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 10:34:57 +0000

Hi Athar Mubark,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  The packaging of the product is damaged order id 9569629887 Dear Associate,
Today i have received my ordered items.Among them there was a Burberry
perfume for women which i found the packaging is tampered firstly the
plastic  is loose on top of the box  and also in several other places
secondly the packet at the  side of the box is glued with extra glue . As i
had ordered the product to gift to some of close family member on their
marriage i want to doubly assure that it is in good condition.
I have been a loyal Landmark Group customer and had been ordering things
online as well as shopping from your stores. First time i had come across
something like this.
The product is not opened yet.
Sending you the photos of the product for your reference.
It will be appreciated if you could change it and give a fresh one as its
packaging is not proper.
Your kind cooperation will be appreciated.
Thank you
Debjani Chatterjee

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4343203