Subject: Ticket Assigned - Poor services from your end
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 May 2022 05:33:09 +0000

Hi Athar Mubark,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Poor services from your end To whom it’s may concern,

I am very disappointed with your services .
Why will u guys send me an email stating I rejected the order whereby I
have been waitng for my order the whole day n 11pm I received an sms saying
I rejected the order! No one called me n no one came to my location which
is very disappointing.

Your customer service all are giving me wrong info about my status on my
order n despite I requested for manager’s call, they denied my request
which I believe is my full right for a manager to call me.

Came across a rude agent by the name yusuf who pretended to be a manager
whereby he is not as he was laughing at me while I was upset and following
up my order. Is this how you trained your agent?? You can listen to the
conversation that I had with him n I am waiting for a manager call
otherwise I will post the bad experience that I had in the social media.

Order no; 9563982904

Waiting for a manager’call

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4122981