Subject: Ticket Assigned - Feedback | Shopping @ Centrepoint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 May 2022 11:36:28 +0000

Hi Athar Mubark,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Feedback | Shopping @ Centrepoint Team,

This email is to express my *displeasure* with the Shopping Experience I
have been having @ Centrepoint.

Had observed Long Queues @ Billing Counters a couple of times and yet no
one was interested to pay heed to. I am sure this is very frustrating for
everyone standing out there in a queue. Nobody likes to queue especially
when one is paying for it. I had this experience last night when I visited
your store @ Mall of Qatar. I wanted to buy many more items but I was
compelled to drop the plan seeing Long Queues @ Billing. Similar experience
I had when I visited your store @ City Center, DECC.

Not sure about the root cause of this. But this is really really
frustrating.

Hoping that you’ll consider this issue and help your customers with having
a pleasant Shopping experience.

Look forward to visiting again and seeing a change.

*== Umang Solanki*

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4304083