Subject: Ticket Assigned - The Promo code is not applied at the checkout
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2022 04:21:56 +0000

Hi Hilah Alolayan,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  The Promo code is not applied at the checkout I have ordered the shoes under buy 1 get 1 offer at order number  6150571384
<https://www.maxfashion.com/sa/en/my-account/order/6150571384?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cnc_collection_thank_you_SA_en>
.
I received only one pair of shoes.

Then I called the max customer care and I was advised to cancil the order,
which I did (shoes only) and again add 2 numbers of the shoes to the basket.
I added two shoes but it was charging me double money, SAR 160 instead of
SAR 80.
I have screenshot of the offer - attached
I also saved the pdf of the webpage at the time of order - attached.

Now, I need this 2 pair shoes as per promo under but a get 1 at SAR 80.

Please help me to get them, I have made many calls to the call center, also
sent a message to the help center, and requested to the call center to
raise a request to resolve the issue but nothing is done so far.
All I need is two pairs of shoes, size 42, under buy 1 get 1 at SAR 80, as
per the promotion.

Please see the attachments

Thanks
Vineet

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4536265