Subject: Feedback
From: Release Concierge <[email-masked]>
To: release <[email-masked]>, Saurabh Dadu <[email-masked]>, Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 09:45:18 -0500

Hi,

Susan Dorsey called giving us some feedback about her experience booking
through the phone with you all. She said she spoke to Pritish first and was
able to get everything booked but got disconnected before reaching payment.
She had called back again but spoke to another and was disconnected. She
had called again asking if we still needed the payment, to then be
disconnected once again. She then decided not to call back assuming
everything must have been all set because she had not heard back from us.
But then she had gotten an email about her appointments being cancelled and
not knowing as to why. She could not keep calling back the day she tried to
book as she had work to tend to.

I'm not sure what day this was that she tried to book, but she was looking
to book March 3rd at the time. I have her booked and paid for now. But just
thought i'd let you know and see if you can recall the interactions with
this lady so that we may come up with a solution if needed going forward?

Thank you!
-Andriana