Subject: Ticket Assigned - My Return Request
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 07:56:05 +0000

Hi Naif Teni,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  My Return Request Assalamualaikum, my is Yuliana and i have request return to centrepoint.
But you cancel my return request and i try call centrepoint and open my
account in centrepoint from Indonesia, but can't be.
Because from 4 December, my position in Indonesia on vacation until 21 of
January 2023.
I have received 352sr return money from centrepoint, but still not all from
total near 1000sr.
That time staff from imile come to me fot pick up my package for return to
centrepoint, all my return package, 3 package together i give to the staff,
but why staff of centrepoint not checked and cancelled my order for return.
Please you check again my return order, because all my orders, already i
return together on 30 of November 2022.
Please you check again for all my return.
I can't understand also, why i can't open my centrepoint in Indonesia and
please contact with that staff pick up my package for return to you.
Im wait your good response for my complaint to you, thank you.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/5455009