Subject: Ticket Assigned - VERY RUDE DELIVERY GUY
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 22:36:37 +0000

Hi Naif Teni,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  VERY RUDE DELIVERY GUY Contacted
I hv just had the most RUDE delivery guy bring my items n just dump them in
the entrance of my building telling me to collect them!!! I DO NOT pay for
items to be delivered n get this out rage of words. I told him that iv paid
for delivery to my aprt NOT the entrance of a building.. if I wanted to
carry them myself I wld go to the store!! When he eventually brought them
up he chucked them at the door n SHOUTED at me, " next time don't order
such items"!! CAN U IMAGINE HE ACTUALLY SHOUTED AT ME!!!! THIS, is how u
treat ur customers!!??? If when I open the items they are damaged HE is to
blame.. this LANDMARK service is absolutely rubbish n u need to change
them. Since last November I hv ordered 1000s of riyals from ur store n this
same delivery service are ALWAYS rude n dont kno where to find my address
as is their excuse! First of all i live opposite the kingdom centre!!
Centre of the city n I think not easy to miss!! Secondly when ordering from
u my address is FULLY filled out on the order form as u can see in ur
app.This last incident definitely deters me from shopping with u
again!!!!!!!!!

Joy al sheibani..
A very valuable LOST customer ?

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4124809