Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint regarding - شكوى بخصوص رقم الطلب 6132467155
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 04:01:37 +0000

Hi Naif Teni,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint regarding - شكوى بخصوص رقم الطلب 6132467155 مرحباً
وصلتني شحنة اليوم عصراً
ولما فتحتها وجدت اخطاء فظيعه جداً!

اولاً منتج فيه بقع دم ـ ومنتج اخر عليه كتابة حبر باللون الازرق - ايضاً
سراويل داخلية نسائية مفتوحة وكأنها مستخدمة!!!

ايضاً بنطلون اسود وكأنه مستخدم من قبل ظاهر عليه الوسخ وليس عليه اي تغليف +
بلوزة نسائية لم اطلبها مستبدله ببلوزة اخرى

بقع دم وملابس داخلية مكشوفه وكأنها مستخدمة من قبل في ظل جائحة كورونا
ارجوا الرد والتفاعل مع ايميلي هذا والا رفعت الشكوى لوزارة التجارة.

Welcome
I received a shipment this afternoon
And when I opened it, I found very terrible errors!

First, a product with blood stains on it - and another product with blue
ink writing on it - also women's panties that are open as if they were
used!!!

Also black pants, as was used before, it appears dirty and does not have
any packaging + a women's blouse that I did not order, replacing it with
another blouse

Blood stains and exposed underwear as was used before under the Corona
pandemic
Please reply and interact with this email, otherwise I will file a
complaint with the Ministry of Commerce.

Thanks.. plz reply with this EMAIL
[email-masked]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4096232