Subject: Ticket Assigned - Two Times the entire amount deducted Refunds issue
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 18:30:19 +0000

Hi Naif Teni,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Two Times the entire amount deducted Refunds issue Welcome,

Regarding the Screenshots attachment, I did one order with Max online then
twice the entire amount deducted from two different  banks on 06-
March-2022, please find the bank statement. and the order No
i called several times the customer  services, they guide me to send this
mail to resolve my issue that pending since long time.
I messaged and called my two banks to return my funds. and of them (SNB)
said it was already deducted non refundable as already the supplier took
it.
First attempt by Apple Pay (SNB Mastercard) then rejected
2nd attempt by Apple Pay ( Rajhi VISA card) then rejected
3rd Attempt by Apple Pay (SNB Mastercard) accepted amount was deducted then
after a few minutes received other message from Rajhi the same entire
amount was deducted.

please for your immediate action as i am following since long time

regards

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4080396