Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order# 6157200383
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 05:41:05 +0000

Hi Shahad Albelihed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order# 6157200383 Hello, Iam here to inquire about an recent return of an item in the
abovementioned order number.

By now the return item has already come to you guys at your warehouse.

Now, The problem is that the item that i have given to the courier for the
return of the order number mentioned above, was wrong.

I gave the courier another different item mistakenly and the item was not
from centrepoint, it was from another company, And was not the item to be
returned.

And so the item that is susposed to be returned is with me. Which is a
t-shirt with short sleeves.

I hope you guys can do something about this issue, but i was thinking you
could give me the item back to my location and then i can give you the item
that is susposed to be returned or basically just exchange the items.

Thank you.
Abdurrahman

The wrong item:

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4794853