Subject: Ticket Assigned - Refund problem , request for support order #6160196013
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2022 06:42:42 +0000

Hi Shahad Albelihed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Refund problem , request for support order #6160196013 Dears,

Please I need serious support for this issue.
I am facing problems with the refund process for my order  #6160196013
Friday 12/8/2022 I visited the Jeddah Park branch to return 2 pcs from the
same order, the online order was paid through Mada pay and till now I
didn't receive any amount for the refund or message from CenterPoint for
the processing.
I did contact customer service by chat 3 times without any result because
they informed me that the return process was not shown in the system. also,
I contacted them by phone but they suggest to go to the branch again.
yesterday I visited the branch and the supervisor show me that the items
were returned and the problem is in the system itself and he recommends to
contact customer service again, I did contact the customer service at the
same time by he couldn't solve my problem and he recommends to send an
email and wait.

*attached is the picture for the refund receipt along with the branch
device screenshot which is showing clearly the return process for items #1
& #3.*

Please I need a final solution for this issue, i couldn't keep following up
on the same problem and keep explaining this to all CenterPoint represents.

Moataz Ali
00966 506842149

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4752752