Subject: Candidate Name: Sumeet Saurav
From: Satyam Saini <[email-masked]>
To: Deeksha Dadu <[email-masked]>
Cc: Aishwarya Jaiswal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 23:32:33 -0700 (MST)

Candidate Name: Sumeet Saurav 

English Typing Speed - 21 WPM. 

Accuracy - 100%. 

Note:- Please describe in 200-300 Words :- 

Q.1. The Qualities that you have that will make you a good customer support representative? 

Ans. The qualities which I posses is, I am a good listener of customer's query and concern. Furthermore, 
I would provide them the accurate and precise information that the cusrtomer would require the given time. 
I would not be having the required information of the query, then I would consult with my immediate senior 
for the correct information. If required be, then I would be calling back the customer, as per the information 
required to them. I'll give the customer, the due attention and information required by them, at the given time. 
Later I would assist them for any other query they would require. The customer's satisfaction and better serviciblity 
provided by me, would be my priority at any given day or at any given time. Wih utmost sincerity I would also note their 
feedback with our given services and drawbacks if any. I would try my best to retain the customers for further business. 
with our company. I would provice the customers with the best our benefits and the advantages to get associated 
with the company I am working with. For better serviciblity I would be making followup calls to the customers, 
toi make them understand that my company gives utmost priority to the customers even when they are not active with us, 
at any given time. I would be making a list of the feedbacks shared by our customers, for their best of our services 
provided to them.