Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint for Cheap Quality Product(3+2 Seater Sofa Set)
From: Home Box <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 12:06:15 +0000

Hi Alhamzi Mohammed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint for Cheap Quality Product(3+2 Seater Sofa Set) Dear Homebox Team,

I am sick and tired of this problem every 8-9 months. How many times do you
guys want me to upgrade to a new model. Last time also I upgraded because
of the bad quality of the recliner I purchased from you guys. And then you
refused to give my money and instead forced to buy something of the same
value. And see what’s the outcome your seats cushion have again become bad.
The foam inside has been destroyed because of the poor quality. I don’t
understand after paying AED 2500 such poor quality you guys are delivering.
Please advise what to do now. I want a replacement of this piece or refund
my money. I can’t tolerate this non sense every year. This is under
warranty right now. Either repair the seats/replace the whole piece or
refund my money.

And don’t delay it. For your reference I have attached the pictures and the
billing invoice.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thanks and Regards

Shantam Sharma

+971 565333070

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4713442