Subject: New Activity [#4474267] 29002103141320200730 / damage FF
From: Home Box <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 05:35:27 +0000

Hi Alhamzi Mohammed,

The Customer has responded to a ticket you are watching

Ticket 

https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4474267#4474267 

29002103141320200730 / damage FF 

Requester 

Saba kazi  [email-masked]

    Customer Response 

My dear why are you repeating same reply for my every email. I am agreed
for the dressor fixing but I am requesting you to arrange a callback from
person who is mentioning that headboard is not available, as I have checked
it is available and I am not agreed to keep this headboard as it is still
under warranty period. If you guys need time to arrange, no problem but I
want it to be changed. If a person is constantly complaining and no one is
bothering to speak from the concerned department, instead same email you
are forwarding me daily.

https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4474267/subscriptions/unsubscribe

Stop watching this ticket