Subject: Ticket Assigned - Order #6157058275
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 06:17:11 +0000

Hi Amira Alanaz,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Order #6157058275 Sir/Madame,

Hello have a good day!

I just want to follow up my order,,  since your agent always putting a
remarks on delivery  tracking at FAREYE.co to the client or me the customer
rejected the order... But it's not.....

I wasn't not able to answer your customer service call because always say
press # of your need to discuss matter..

.just call directly on my number tru your delivery agent... I mean mobile #
of your delivery man..whatapps..

So I can reply and send my location
 Immediately as soon as possible so they can reach me..

Please responses regarding this matter...

.and see attached file for your reference..

Thanks,
Ashny
+966554508135

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4659118