Subject: Ticket Assigned - Fwd: Complaint
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2022 04:36:33 +0000

Hi Amira Alanaz,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Fwd: Complaint *Subject : Complain Ticket Number # 4550899*

Dear Sir/Madam

We bought children's shoes from one of your branches (Dahran Road
#013-510-4833), at the time of purchase, your salesperson gave us the wrong
size. Fifteen days later we came to shoes that were purchased in the wrong
size. We are a regular customer at Center point and have not had a similar
experience even before. we already asked you, the seller, to provide 32
sizes and he went back to the store and bought the shoebox and right away
we paid and returned. On the fifteenth day, we rush to your branch to make
an exchange size, but your store checkout counter refuses to exchange due
to the fourteen-day delay. From your location, we have registered
complaints regarding the above-noted ticket numbers.

Please find the attached invoice and shoe photos and allow us to visit the
same branch and make our exchange policy easier.

I hope you will value your regular customer request and do the needful.

Thank you.

With Thanks and Best Regards,

Abdul Razak.

Mob: 0501585046.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Abdul Razak <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 7:19 PM
Subject: Complaint
To: <[email-masked]>

Sent from my iPhone

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4564687