Subject: Ticket Assigned - Delivered but no change given
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:03:15 +0000

Hi Amira Alanaz,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Delivered but no change given Good day ,
My order number  6371713082
<https://www.centrepointstores.com/sa/en/my-account/order/6371713082?utm_source=hybris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=order_shipped_SA_en>
was
delivered yesterday evening. It was a COD order in the amount of SAR 246,I
gave the delivery guy a SAR 500 note ,he did not have change and told me to
wait he will get change.I waited outside for 20 minutes or more and he
never came back.i called him a few times on his cell  and no answer ,and
then phoned switched off,
I called your support centre and they advised somebody will call me,nobody
has called .

Please advise as I want my change of SAR 254 immediately
Further to the above I would like to return some of the items

regards
Areefa

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3528673