Subject: Ticket Assigned - Return the order | Not working | Order #6375428559
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 13:07:12 +0000

Hi Sarah Awad,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Return the order | Not working | Order #6375428559 Dear Concern Dept.
Good Day!
My Self SIBIN K SAM,
I ordered a smartwatch Qty. 3 pcs, (2 pcs Blue color and 1 pc Black
color)and delivered. But unfortunately Black watch is not working.
So kindly return the item as soon as possible and refund the amount at
earliest.
The Order number and invoice attached and address as below.

*Order #6375428559*
Expect the reply as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time

Regards.

*S**IBIN K SAM*

*Mob**:* +966 50 123 8959 *|* Al Salhiyeh St, As Salhiyah *|* Unayzah

*Email*: [email-masked], [email-masked]

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3638766