Subject: Ticket Assigned - Complaint (payment deducted twice)
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 12:18:49 +0000

Hi Elharith elsiddig,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Complaint (payment deducted twice) Please review my concern regarding my order on centerpoint last november 7,
2011. I used my mada card for payment on purchase online of 406sr, but they
deducted it twice for a total of 812sr from my card. Order# 6364664328. I
called on your contact # everyday but always say that you will check it,
then finally, yesterday a lady on the call advised me to confirm my bank
account statement on my bank directly. So yesterday i went to the bank
immediately, and they gave me a copy of my bank account statement stating
that the centerpoint really deducted the payment TWICE. The bank also
advised me that if you don't have any actions from this problem within the
next 24hrs, i should complain it already to the Ministry of Commerce.

Attached file is a pdf of my bank account statement sealed by the aljazira
bank as a proof.
Thankyou for your assistance.

Sincerely yours,
JURIS ANN CAMERINO

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/3377093