Subject: Ticket Assigned - Transaction payment in Salam points
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 05:35:54 +0000

Hi Elharith elsiddig,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Transaction payment in Salam points Hi

I did a purchase at max thos evening through salam points. Attached is the
receipt of the transaction.

The max outlet system shut down suddenly after I entered my pin and
transaction was being processed.

My salaam points balance used was 478 aed.

The max staff says the transaction was unsuccessful and they didn't receive
anything. Our bank says, the transaction has happened and salaam balance is
only 0.50 aed now.

The attached receipt also shows the redeemed amount as 478 aed. And balance
salaam amount as 0.50 aed.

My phone number 056 1707391 was used for my shukran card in this
transaction.

The max staff didnt give me my stuff and my amount was also deducted from
my account and they said they dont have a proof of transaction with them.

It took me 1 whole hour to wait at the counter but the issue remained
unsolved and I came back home empty handed.

I look forward to hearing from you on this urgently.

Thanks
NoorulAin Farrukh

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2772382