Subject: Ticket Assigned - Product review.
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:12:20 +0000

Hi Elharith elsiddig,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Product review. Good Morning
I am sorry to say but my last order made me very upset.
1.The pyjama set I received was not the same I ordered.(I ordered blue
pants and light blue top.I received another color, even though not out of
stock.)
2.The night dress that I ordered was of very poor quality with one wash the
button area tore.
3.And when I wanted to make a return order for pyjama set then my online
application soon stopped working after receiving the order it took two days
to recover.
See the attached pictures for reference.

I believe that for any organization to be successful customer satisfaction
is of utmost importance and for customer the amount paid seems to be worth
it when the product meets the standards.

Kindly do not hold one person responsible for any mistake, I respect that
every individual is working hard to earn their living.Its only to improve
and prevent such issues again.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to voice out my feelings.

Regards
Your Customer.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2676185