Subject: Ticket Assigned -
From: Centrepoint <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 15:48:31 +0000

Hi Elharith elsiddig,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.   Good morning!

Dear centerpoint team,

On *May 26* I've placed an order which number is *9664290155*, I found a
small scratch on the bag surface and a small sticky patch so I returned it
to Ibn battuta mall centerpoint store today May 31afternoon. In the store
they refund me *218 dhs* as a voucher which number is
*96642901559840535263.*
I tried to buy the same item many times using the same valid promo code
*LS20* but it was not working (it is mentioned that it is working until
yesterday) so I had to buy it without discount code and with extra COD
charges and delivery charges *(37dhs)* yesterday *May 31* evening with the
voucher number *96642901559840535263* and the order number is *9665981336*.
Today *June 1st* I recevied the item with the same defect which is a small
scratch on the bag's outter leather surface.
Now I requested to return it back again. And so I will be charged extra
*20dhs* again for the delivery and COD of a *defected* item!! So I am paing
extra total almost *60dhs* because of your defectet 2 bags?!!!! In adition
to consuming almost one week to just buy a bag!
I need someone from yourside to call me back as soon as possible and to
return all the extra *60dhs* I've been charged in addition to *218dhs* in
one voucher.

Please check the attached photos.

Regards.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/2653412