Subject: Ticket Assigned - Faulty Items - COMPLAINT
From: Max <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 12:11:41 +0000

Hi Sohaib Ahmed,  A new ticket has been assigned to you. Please follow the link below to view the ticket.  Faulty Items - COMPLAINT Hello,

I am very disappointed at the hideous quality of your products. Its been a
long time since I bought items from you, I decided to buy over 2000 LE
worth of items for my kids this EID from Max, and I AM BEYOND SHOCKED AND
DISAPPOINTED.

Please take the time to check the attached images of products that are
apparently of very poor quality.

1. The dinosaur set, bled dark blue all over the yellow areas of the shirt,
although it was washed according to the instructions.

2. The letters on the girls set came off after being only worn for a
couple of hours. It wasn't even washed and the letters are already loose!!!

3. One of the black polo shirts (of which I ordered two different sizes for
both my kids) was stained with ketchup that wouldn't come off. Which is an
indication of how bad the fabric is.

This is all in the attached pictures. It is not acceptable and I want to
return these items for a cash refund ASAP.

Looking forward to your reply and cooperation on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

 https://landmarkgroupservice.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/4381549